Thursday 12 April 2012

Ode to a good cup of coffee served in a good cup of coffee cup

Royal Brompton incarceration sketch tour – A decent cup of coffee (3 of 5)

The ‘coffee/tea, please’ people come around the hospital about 4 times a day. Like a good pub after about 3 days in hospital they get to know your drinks order – coffee, white, 2 sugars in my case. Ironically for the Royal Brompton hospital that prides itself on award winning food – Maxwell house is the blend of choice for the NHS and not my particular cup of tea. I think this is because it comes in paper cups and cuts out a lot of the faffing around with tea spoons.

My favourite cup of coffee usually arrived just after breakfast at about 9:15. Three hours later than I am used to – I was an unusual patient as I was up, showered and dressed by 8. This took the attention of 1 doctor who took asked me on one occasion why I got up so early as the rest of his patients were asleep. I explained when you have a 18 month old baby there are two 6 o’clocks in every day… – Anyway my favourite cup of coffee arrived in an orange china cup complete with saucer.

Ironically I can’t draw ellipses and so this post about a decent cup of coffee relies on some dodgy drawings of NHS cutlery.

 

Cup of coffee sketch final web

Initial Sketch completed in hospital.

Charcoal cup of coffee final web

Charcoal sketch to help create a finished painting.

 

Cup of Coffee final

Finished watercolour of the NHS orange cup of coffee.

 

maxwell hse web

Paper cup of Maxwell house designed to leave you wanting more…

Finally I have been experimenting with ipad sketching.

IPAD Sketch of a cup of coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment