Monday 2 January 2012

Happy New Year

Bosham web

Bosham Harbour, I like this image and thought it fitting to start the New Year, as it was originally drawn 4 years ago when we took a yearly outing to the coast before we had Samuel. The picture works well for me as I think I have created a nice balance of corresponding lights and darks which has created a feeling of depth to the painting. It also gives the viewer the opportunity to roam around the scene before spotting the main character Debs walking along the path. I think I probably should have made Debs look to the right to help push your eye back around the painting, you may notice that there is no facial detail and this is a trade mark of one of my sketches.

Skies can be particularly daunting because with watercolour you can’t go back and repair! This sky was painted with the yellow highlights first that went into the sea below the horizon and then a wash of blue was brought into the yellow areas – Always add a little bit of red to your blue to stop the colours mixing green. The colours used in this image are :- Cobalt blue, French Ultramarine, Windsor Yellow, Raw Sienna, Burnt sienna, Permanent Rose and Burnt Umber.

No comments:

Post a Comment