Friday 4 May 2012

Painting a day in May 3

Continuing with my epic painting a day in May – Today London’s Shard. I have painted this once before about 8 months ago and I find the whole structure fascinating. I first saw it when the building work had only just commenced at ground level at London Bridge station. This view is looking up from St Thomas’s Hospital next to the Mcdonalds. A wonderful combination.
shard 4 final web

It is good to sometimes photograph the progress of a piece of work to find out where things go wrong! I created this painting in 5 sittings although I forgot to take a picture of stage 4!
shard watercolour 3 web

Stage 3 – First light water colour washes to establish the main areas.
shard 2ink web

Stage 2 – Ink drawing making any corrections.
shard pencil 1 web

Stage 1 Pencil sketch – although I usually go straight in with pen.
shard sketch book web

Sketch as it appears in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment