Thursday 1 March 2012

Obsession

watercolour orange camper web

I have been sketching VW Campers over the past weeks. I love the idea of being able to just drive away with your own private accommodation and to pull up in a layby – Of Course this is almost impossible these days with all the double yellow line parking restrictions around. I watched a programme on the Caravan channel where a woman was interviewed as she had owned caravans all her life from the 1940s onwards. She recalled being able to take a caravan to Paris and being able to park up along side the Eiffel Tower. Imagine doing that today!

In the same programme they also showed how a modern insulated caravan was made out of sheets of laminated steel and polystyrene giving a level of comfort and security of a modern day apartment building. What a striking difference to a battered VW single layer Steel constructed VW Van. And what a sad person I am for being riveted to the show.

It is my dream to own one of these vans one day with all its faults, its engine failures, its damp morning window dripping interior…My other half has given me permission to save for one. She is saving for the hotel she will be staying in!

No comments:

Post a Comment